On the 13th February the Swiss held a binding referendum to seek the views of people on four legislative proposals. All four questions were on the same ballot sheet.
The people only suppoted one of the four rejecting the other three against the government's wishes.
The results and topic were as follows:-
- Agreed to limit tobacco
- Rejected ban on animal testing
- Rejected abolish of stamp duty on Swiss companies
- Rejected increase funding to Swiss media.
Further details are here which I'm afraid you will have to cut and paste as this blog still doesn't do links that open:-
As I've covered before on this blog Switzerland has three tyypes of referendums:-
1. Popular - which allow the people to make proposals
2. Facultative/Optional - which allows the people to approve or reject gvoernment legislation
3. Mandatory - Needed if the issue alters the constitution.
This is real democracy in action as it is the people's views that should be paramount over their elected representatives who should be their servants and not their masters.